Friday, July 22, 2011

5 months old

My baby girl, you are 5 months old today.  I know everyone says it, but I can't believe how fast the time is going by.  I remember the day we brought you home from the hospital and you looked so tiny in your carseat.  Now I find my self astonished everyday at how big you are getting.

You love to shriek, squeal, and babble away.  If we go to a restaurant, you want to make sure your voice is heard.  The lady at baby and me nicknamed you the opera singer because your cry reaches quite the loud volume when you are upset.  Although you really are a pretty good baby and that doesn't happen too often.

I think it was last month that you found your feet and you love to hold onto them.  You love to hold onto anything you can get your little hands on.  Mommy's dinner plate, mommy's cup, mommy's hair, etc.  When you're in your carseat, you hold onto the side.  When you're nursing, you pull on mommy's shirt.  You like to be holding something when you sleep, so we started giving you a blanky to hold during your naps.  Here's a picture of you holding your panda toy while taking a nap.

You like scooting around in a circle when on your back and you do it a little bit while on your tummy.  You roll onto your sides, but won't quite make it all the way over.  You can roll from your tummy to your back, but only choose to do so on very rare occasions.  You started rolling from tummy to back when you were 3 months old, but you just don't want to do it.  I think if we had carpet instead of hardwood floors you would move a lot more, you just can't get any traction.  You can sit very briefly unassisted before you fold over and then protest.

You get bored at home and need to go new places.  You let mommy know we've been at home too long by getting very fussy.  You love getting outside and going for walks, especially when mommy puts you in the moby wrap facing out.  You kick your legs with excitement and are very quiet while taking everything in.  You like to go to Trader Joe's and you draw lots of attention, making friends and exchanging smiles.  You also love bath time, you recently learned how to splash.  And you love your kitties.  It's a good thing they love you too because I think it's gonna take awhile for you to learn how to be gentle.

Daddy seems to be the only one who can make you laugh.  You love to play with daddy and you think he is so funny.  Mommy is more of the comforter and source of food. =)

Your sleeping habits seem to be a bit of an issue these days.  You used to take good naps and at night you would sleep 8-9 hours straight, wake up to eat and go back to sleep another 2-3 hours.  Now you usually take 30 minute naps either in the swing or on me and in the early evening I can sometimes get you to take a 1-1 1/2 hour nap on me by rocking or nursing you back to sleep when you wake up.  (Funny side note, you shake your head side to side to rock yourself to sleep when I'm not holding you.)  And night time has gotten out of  control.  You will do a 5-6 hour stretch, eat, sleep 3 hours, eat, sleep 2-3 hours and then wake up for the day.  This is very tiring for mommy because it takes such a long time for me to fall asleep, so I do much better with one feeding instead of two.  I don't know what has been going on with you these past couple of weeks.  But that's my only complaint.  Please, please, please baby go back to your old sleep schedule.

I have to say that my very favorite moments are when you wake up in the morning and are full of smiles for me.  You are so happy to see me and it just melts my heart.  Also when you fall asleep nursing, it is just the sweetest thing.

Well, this has been a very long post, so I will wrap it up.  I love you so much baby girl, and I am so happy I get to be your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment