Sunday, January 3, 2016

It's A Girl!

(Edit:  This has been sitting here for months waiting to be published.  I was going to edit it and break it into paragraphs, but I'm just going to go ahead and post it.)

So it's been awhile.  Elisabeth Rose Mojica was born on her due date July 30, 2015 at 12:31 pm weighing 7 lbs. 6 oz. and 19 in. long.

Early in the morning contractions started waking me up. I started timing them at 4 am for about an hour and they were all over the place from 9 minutes to 15 minutes apart.  I was still pretty sure that this was it though, so I told Jose not to go to work and I texted the midwife what was happening so far.  She said she would hop in the shower and check back with me at 6 am.  I called my sister and mom so they could head over.  The next hour contractions were still all over, but 7 to 12 minutes apart and lasting 30-50 sec.  The midwife decided to head over and arrived about 7 am.  My mom arrived shortly after and my sister came about 8:30 am.  I wasn't timing contractions anymore because I needed to focus on what I was doing.  Slow, deep breathing and a focal point got me through the majority of labor.  I sat out on the couch with my mom and sister watching the show Friends for a couple of hours.  Meanwhile, the birth tub and everything else was all ready for me in the bedroom.  My mom and sister thought it was so funny that sometimes I would end a contraction laughing because I would catch a joke from the show as I was coming out of the contraction.  I have to say though, my super active baby would push back during the contractions.  I would be having a contraction and my mom and sister could see her pushing her but out.  That was not comfortable for me!  Anyway, by about 11 am I wanted to go lay down in my bed and I had Jose go with me to rub my back.  I still thought it was going to be awhile at this point, but everything ended up going super fast after that.  I laid in bed with Jose for awhile but then the contractions started getting more intense.  My mom and sister came in and I told them I could feel the baby moving down.  It was so weird to me, but I was much more in tune with my body this time than I was with my first daughter's birth.  She was born at the hospital.  So, after awhile I just couldn't get comfortable in any position and decided to get in the birthing tub.  The midwife and her assistant had pretty much left me alone until this point and were just letting me do my thing.  Other than periodically checking baby's heart rate, they didn't interfere at all.  In the tub the contractions got super intense and I didn't want to do it anymore, so I realized I must be in transition.  I changed my breathing technique to 3 breaths and a blow to cope with the pain.  Being in the water also helped a lot with the pain.  My water broke in the tub probably about 15 min. before the baby was born.  After awhile I started pushing and was saying "oh" through contractions and moaning.  Again, very different from my first birth in the hospital where I didn't make a sound.  I was kind of wondering if I should be pushing.  I had never been checked for dilation at all, but my body knew exactly what it was doing.  I said I thought I could feel a head down there and the midwife said if I reached down, I could feel the head.  So I reached down and sure enough, I could feel the top of her head which was so cool and very encouraging.  I was on my knees, hanging on Jose and I really wanted the baby out.  The midwife encouraged me to change positions, so I flipped over and leaned my back against Jose.  It was much easier to push in this position and I got her head all the way out.  I probably pushed too fast because I ended up tearing, but I just couldn't take the burning sensation anymore.  While I was waiting for the next contraction, I could feel the baby moving which seemed odd to me, but when I said I could feel it, the midwife said the baby was turning to the perfect position to come out.  Then I pushed her all the way out and got to hold my baby for the first time.  It was amazing and I couldn't believe she was finally here.  Of course, we didn't know what we were having, so I still needed to check.  So many people thought I was having a boy, so when I looked between the legs I was looking for a penis.  Well, there was no penis, I checked twice!  Then I announced that it was a girl.  Such an amazing experience.  And I was only in the tub for about 30 min. before she was born at 12:31 pm.  It all went very quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment